Sunday Six #2 Midnight Bandit

Happy Sunday! Sorry if that’s far too cheerful, but I completed a novel on Saturday and I’m feeling rather ecstatic about that. Thanks to everyone who dropped by last week. Such a great response to this WIP. Since I’m still writing it I hope you’ll enjoy what’s to come as much as me. So, continuing from last week, I’m offering up the next six sentences.

* * *

Jeremy gripped the reins in one hand and gestured his four companions forward until they reached the limit of the trees. At his signal the other riders kicked their mounts forward, aiming directly for the swiftly moving carriage with the intention of halting it as smoothly as possible. They couldn’t risk having their precious cargo thrown about or give the grooms time to get a shot off that could injure one of them. After the trouble he’d gone to in his quest to finally be in the right place at the right time, he couldnโ€™t let this opportunity be lost to carelessness.

He rose up in his stirrups, watching his men with a certain stirring of pride and sting of guilt that he’d turned them into bandits of the night. But to restore the fortunes of a once proud and noble family, they were all prepared to be just a little bit wild.

* * *

Thanks for dropping by and I’ll be visiting your blog shortly!

Comments

, , ,

swishy2

14 Responses to Sunday Six #2 Midnight Bandit

1. Stevie Carroll February 10, 2013 at 9:12 pm #

I’m intrigued as to the cargo now. A nicely atmospheric excerpt.

2. Gem Sivad February 10, 2013 at 11:02 pm #

I like this very much. The promise of saving the family fortune, precious cargo, great friends on the quest…wow!

3. Sherry Gloag February 11, 2013 at 1:09 am #

I agree, a very vivid scene, and what is that precoius cargo?

4. sarahballance February 11, 2013 at 1:57 am #

Great descriptions, and I love his closing thought!

5. Paula Martin February 11, 2013 at 2:23 am #

Excellent six, great description, and of course the interesting bit – what or who is the precious cargo?

6. Joyce Scarbrough February 11, 2013 at 2:32 am #

Good snippet for stirring our curiosity. Hope you continue with more from this next week!

7. Zee Monodee February 11, 2013 at 3:00 am #

You totally brought me into the moment. And congrats on completing the novel ๐Ÿ™‚

8. Elin Gregory February 11, 2013 at 3:23 am #

Congratulations!! And thanks for an exciting snippet. I love the idea of being ‘a little bit wild’.

9. Siobhan Muir February 11, 2013 at 4:35 am #

Great set up, Heather. Now to see if he goes more than he bargained for. ๐Ÿ˜‰

10. brendaashworthbarry February 11, 2013 at 4:48 am #

Nice job. I loved that he is saving the family fortune and being a little wild. Loved the hook and can’t wait to read more. ๐Ÿ™‚

11. Joanne Stewart February 11, 2013 at 5:31 am #

I love that you’ve given him a cause we don’t hate him for. He’s not a bandit, just to be one, but because he’s got a noble cause, which almost makes me root for him. I’m also curious as to what the cargo is. Terrific snippet.

12. Virginia Kelly February 11, 2013 at 6:11 am #

I love regency romance, love the premise here. Very well done!

Caught a typo: in “heโ€™d turned his them into bandits of the night” delete “his”

13. Sue February 11, 2013 at 6:27 am #

Looking forward to the back story on why the need to be wild, nicely put. Your writing is like a painting very visual
    (I’m posted this week on WWW, hope you join us)

14. Karysa Faire February 11, 2013 at 7:19 am #

Love this line: “. . . watching his men with a certain stirring of pride and sting of guilt”. The whole snippet is smooth and beautifully told. I could visualize the scene clearly.

Don't be shy leave a reply